Landlords safety failings ends in Court

A local newspaper report has highlighted the case of a couple who rented out their property in a “dangerous” condition in London’s East End being fined £14,400.

The five-storey terraced house in Bow Road, Bow, occupied by several tenants, did not comply with security, fire and electrical safety laws.

The landlords were summoned with their property lettings company, SAB Associates, and found guilty by Thames magistrates of offences under the Housing Act. Magistrates heard that they failed to carry out “essential security, fire safety and electrical work” after 21 months which was first brought to their attention in May, 2011, magistrates heard.

Matters were still not properly dealt with when environment officers called again during a follow-up visit more than a year-and-a-half later, when the couple failed to produce an electrician’s certificate.

There were still electrical faults, while the fire alarm system and fire doors did not comply with the safety regulations, the court was told.

Landlords safety failings ends in Court