House fires prompt electrical equipment warning

Fire and Rescue services have again urged residents to check electrical equipment and their smoke alarms after damaging fires caused by electrical faults.

Dorset firefighters reported call outs to two properties, both of which caused thousands of pounds worth of damage.

In one the fire and rescue service was called to a blaze in a first floor flat after an electrical fault in an airing cupboard sparked the fire. The flat suffered ‘severe’ damage from the fire, heat and smoke, and smoke damage was also caused to the communal hallways, with water damage caused to the ground floor laundry and a garage.

The fire service was also called to a blaze at another property after a faulty washing machine caught fire. Severe damage was caused to the kitchen by the fire and there was smoke damage to the rest of the house.

Weymouth Fire Station asked everyone to make sure that their electrical equipment is safe.

A spokesperson said: “Electric fires are our main cause of fires in Dorset, and the majority are down to faulty equipment or people overloading sockets and plugs. I would like to remind people to make sure they do not overload sockets and to regularly check electrical equipment.”

House fires prompt electrical equipment warning